Things to Do: 8/17 to 8/18:
updated 8/8/17, 10/5/17, 11/16/17, 12/30/17, 2/25/18, 3/24/18, 4/20/18, 4/30/18, 6/2/18, 7/5/18
- Complete 24.5 CEUs for PTA license: 14.5
- Figure out car rack for WC or walker: done 8/17
- 100 blog posts or pages: 61
- Write 100,000 words: 30,000
Things To Do: 1/1/17 to 6/31/17
- Find a New Place to Live with Berta and a Job Close by, or Have a Working Plan: Signed 4 month lease at present location 2/8, Completed move to Tumwater apt. 6/17/17
- Complete 20 CEUs for PTA License: Done 8/14/17
- 60 blog posts or pages: 26
Things to Accomplish in 2016
Updated: 1/23/16, 1/25/16, 2/ 7, 2/13, 2/27, 2/28, 3/6, 3/27, 4/9, 4/15, 4/26, 5/2, 5/22, 5/29, 6/14, 7/1, 7/9, 7/23, 8/14, 8/24, 9/17, 9/23, 9/28, 9/30, 10/2, 10/9, 10/15, 10/16, 10/30, 11/11, 11/19, 11/28, 12/2, 12/12, 12/18, 12/29, 12/31 final
- 100 blog posts and pages: 66
- Write a song:0
- Learn 5 songs and play them for someone: 1. A Song For You by Gram Parsons
- *Get a flute and play it: rented flute 2/27 (Done)
- Write 200,000 words:55,000
- *Connect with friends and family 213 times on phone or in person:199, 87 in person (Generations party and Mary, Dustin, and, Rowan in Bellingham 1/9) (Bridge and Bandon Oregon 4/29-5/1 Bill, Elizabeth, Eli, Mom and Dad) (Kirkland 5/2,7,11 and 14 Rowan)(Bellingham 6/30 Generations, Mary, Dustin, Rowan)(7/1 Mark on Lummi Is.) (8/4 took Rowan to movie, Dustin and Mary)(9/13, 9/18, 9/22, 9/29, 10/5, 10/10, 10/15, 10/16) R on trail in Lacey and 10/1 at park, 10/27-30 and 11/5-6, 11/12-13, 11/19 and 20) here)(Whidby Island 9/25-27 Chris, Alex, Mom, Maria and Michael) 10/21-23(Pat, Holly, Mark, R, Rowan, Mary, and Dustin) 10/28-30 R, Bellingham thanksgiving (R, Rowan, Jordan, D, Mary) 12/2-3(Rod, Trish, Frank and Vicki) Roberta Moving, Roberta’s 12/9-11, Bellingham Christmas( Dustin 2, Rowan 2, Mary 2, and Jordan) and 126 phone(Mark 19, Mary 40, Elizabeth 16, Jordan 5, Pat 5, Chris 6 , Rowan 11 , Dustin 5, Bill, Mom 3, Dad, Roberta 13)Done
- 200 hours of exercise outside of work: 100 hours
- 52 pieces of visual art: 35(27 photo blogs, 2 drawings, 2 painting on canvas, 1 painting on illustration board, 1 painting on wood, 2 paintings on paper )
- 50 out of 52 adventures in the world and stretching my bubble or traveling:50- 1/9 Bellingham: Generations Party, 2/21 Olympia: OUUC membership class pt. 1, 2/26, OUUC congregational visioning, 2/28 OUUC Membership class pt. 2, 3/6 OUUC Membership class pt.3, 3/17 final OUUC Membership class, Caucusing for Bernie 3/26, Farmer’s Market in Olympia listening to Jasper Lepac 4/9, Tolmie State Park 4/16, Drove to the ocean 4/17, Poetry writing workshop 4/24, Bridge and Bandon Or. 4/29-5/1, Kirkland (5/2, 5/7, 5/11, 5/14) Poetry Play workshop 5/22, Brunch at Media Island 6/5, Jarrell Cove State Park 6/11, Visiting at Generations 6/30, Riding in the Rain 14 miles 7/9, Car Shopping 7/23, 8/7 Rowan’s movie, Softball 8/20, bike rides over 10 miles 9/10-11, Met R on trail (9/13, 9/18, 9/22, 9/29, 10/5, 10/10, 10/15, 10/16 at park 10/2 ), Whidby Island storage and moving 9/25-27, Pt. Defiance Zoo 10/21, Bellingham 10/20, Hike up the Mountain 10/22, Weekend and exploring Tacoma w/ R 10/27-30, Another weekend w/R 11/5-6 , 11/12-13, 11/19 more Tacoma exploring w/ R, Bellingham Thankgiving, Moving Roberta, Tacoma UU Church W/ Roberta x 2 12/11 and 12/18, bringing Roberta home 12/13, dinner with Dustin and Roberta, Christmas in Bellingham, Bed shopping, Meeting Roberta’s son and family.
- *Read 36 Books: 38 (The Double Life of Liliane Tuck by Lily Tuck, A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin, Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel, A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin, Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne, Three Hainish Novels by Ursula K. LeGuin, Exile and the Kingdom by Albert Camus, The Book of Dead Philosophers by Simon Critchley, A Feast of Crows by George R R Martin, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki, How Music works by David Byrne, ABC of Impossibility by Simon Critchley, A Dance of Dragons by George R R Martin, Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne, Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Showman Killer: Heartless Hero by Alejandro Jodorowsky, What is the What? by David Eggers, The Dead Ladies Project by Jessa Crispin, HildaFolk and 3 others by Luke Pearson, The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Setrapi, Adventure Time Volume 1 by North, Paroline and Lamb, Home by Marilynne Robinson, Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope and Repair by Annie Lamott, Rosalie Lightening by Tom Hart, Mara and Dann by Doris Lessing, Suttree by Cormac McCarthy, Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, 2009 Best American Comics edited by Charles Burns, Xed Out, The Hive and The Sugar Skull by Charles Burns, Wind/Pinball by Haruki Murikami, Nonsense: The Power of Not Knowing by Jamie Holmes, Play Anything by Ian Bogost, Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick, as read by William Hootkins, Asterios Polyp by David Mazucchelli, 2 Sisters by Matt Kindt, How Not to Die by Michael Greger, M. D.) Done
- * Write and publish 30 poems:30
- * 20 PTA CEUs: 20.5
Until the End of Year List: Goals 6/1/2015 to 12/31/2015
This is a good start I will probably think of a few more in the coming days as I settle into my new routines post- PTA program. update: 6/17/15, 6/26/15, 7/18/15, 8/2/15, 8/23/15, 9/18/15, 11/15, 11/21, 12/12, 12/25, and 1/1/16 Fini
- X !Find a good place to live. (Looking in Lacey 9/19)(Finished ,moving in to my place in Olympia 11/14)
- Get my teeth fixed.(two broken teeth removed 7/9/13, another bad one out 9/10/13, teeth cleaned and checked 6/9/15, next apt. 6/26/15 for fixing temporary repair done, three more teeth fixed 8/4/15 )
- X Fund my life choices by working in ways that I find rewarding and fulfilling. (ie PTA, teaching, art, writing etc.)(6/1 working at Generations(Day Care) until I get my PTA license probably in August, passed fed/state board exam 7/8/15, License activated 7/22/15, applied online for rehab companies that contract in the area. 9/17 accepted a full time position at a skilled nursing facility in Lacey. Start work 11/2. Working full time through 1/1/16.)
- Ride my new bike 700 miles.(138 miles)
- Create 70 blog posts.(46)
- X Pass Physical Therapist Assistant exam.(7/8/15)
- X Make new resumes and apply for many jobs.(resume done 6/15/15, applied at Infinity and Lifecare, see #3)
- Do volunteer work somewhere.
- Write before breakfast every day and every evening and maybe a little in between.This is how many words I have written: 19,000
- Do something committed or risky or out of my comfort zone or all three at least once a week. 6/4:went to see “Man and Superman” by myself after Mary cancelled, 6/9 and 10 went to the Dr. for asthma meds and dentist, 6/20 Graduation party and beers at Boundary Bay, 6/26 dentist again, 6/28 Went to see Laney Jones and the Spirits at Green Frog, 7/10 Jesse’s band w/ Rob Staufer at Green Frog, 7/26/15 the High and Mighty Brass Band @ Green Frog, 8/4 dentist, 8/14 introduced myself to Sherrie, therapist at Mt. Baker rehab dept., Applied for a full time PTA job in Lacey 8/23, Phone interview 9/4, Rented a truck and supervised moving 9/15, move to Olympia area 9/23-? 9/23 – 11/14 planning and working through homelessness to moving into an apartment in Olympia all wildly outside my comfort zone but done,), 11/21 cooked a turkey, ,11/21-12/12 adjusting to my new job, which is social and technical, focused and yet challenges my flexibility, has been my main challenge to my comfort zone boundaries,White Elephant Xmas party at Hopjacks 12/18
- Write and publish 30 poems. (9 written, 2 published)
- Get to know my neighbors in my new home and be a part of a community: found a mechanic 9/30, Attend UU church service 10/4 ,11/8, New comers class at UU Church 11/15, 11/21-12/12 Getting to know and develop connections with the people at my work.
- Find interesting places in my new town: Chehalis Western Trail, South Puget Sound Community College, Olympia UU Church.
Next 3 1/2 Years List
This is a list of projects I will be working on starting 12/12/2011 to be completed on or around 6/01/2015.
Updated: 1/31/12, 2/26/12, 3/31/12, 4/30/12, 5/16/12, 5/31/12, 6/30/12, 7/31/12, 9/1/12, 9/29/12, 11/1/12,12/1/12, 1/13/13, 1/31/13, 2/28/13, 5/4/13, 6/8/13, 6/30/13, 7/15/13, 9/3/13, 11/25/13,12/17/13, 1/2/14, 1/17/14, 2/2/14, 2/17/14, 3/30/14, 5/25/14, 6/28/14, 7/26/14, 9/21/14, 10/19/14, 10/26/14, 11/07/14,11/29/14, 12/28/14, 1/9/15, 1/17/15, 1/23/15, 2/15/15, 3/7/15, 3/14/15, 3/31/15, 4/13/15, 4/30/15, 5/14/15, 5/31/15
(but who knows what I will be doing or thinking by then.)
- (X) Read or listen to 3000 poems. 5/16/2012
- (X) Read or listen to 1000 different poets.(4/1/2013)
- Read 50 volumes of poetry.(22)
- Read 50 books of fiction.(39)
- Read 50 books of non-fiction/non-poetry (35)
- Write 150 poems.(73)
- Publish 300 blog posts.(116)
- Write 500,000 words that make sense together (fiction or non-fiction).(220,000)
- Publish 10 written pieces in a place other than my blog.(7)
- Finish 200 drawings.(29)
- (X) Mount and display 10 pieces of my art(1/3/15)
- !(X)! Finish a BA, AA or vocational training program that will help me with #13.(finished Physical Therapy Assistant Program)5/31/15
- -> Find a way to make a living that I am inspired by and supports my lifestyle and dreams. continued(see #12)
- Move myself 2000 miles by my own muscles (walking, running, bicycling).(1700)
- ->Find a good place to live. (11/10/12)(9/14 moved in with my daughter) continued
- (X) Plan and work out funding to complete PTA training.( so far $4600 in grants, 8700 loans need about $2,500 more besides living expenses)Done (5/31/15) with some left over.
- ->Get my teeth fixed.(two broken teeth removed 7/9/13, another bad one out 9/10/13, Dentist apt. 6/9/15) continued
- Do 800 hours of strenuous exercise. (525)(I got a membership at the YMCA to help me with this one.)
- (X) Play 1500 hours. (1/9/15)
- (X) Make 5 new friends (12/7/14) I have made so many friends through my work at St. Francis and in the PTA program. At least 5 of these people, if not all of them, will be my friends for the rest of my life.
I am done with this list and on to another. I have finished the most important goal on the list and some others. I see that some of the items on the list lost some priority, and that is alright with me. On to new goals. I will start a new list. I am not sure what I will be putting on it except the continued items from this list.
101 in 1001
I begin this list 6/4/09
As it is written so it shall be done before 1001 days have transpired on March 22, 2012 .
updated last 6/6/09, 6/14/09, 7/1/09, 10/4/09, 11/8/09, 11/27/09, 12/13/09, 12/31/09, 1/17/10, 2/3/10, 2/14/10, 2/28/10, 3/14/10, 4/11/10, 5/2/10, 6/4/10, 7/4/10, 8/16/10, 9/7/10, 10/2/10, 11/6/10, 11/29/10, 12/18/2010, 12/31/2010, 1/8/2011, 1/15/11, 1/22/11, 1/29/11, 2/5/11, 2/12/11, 2/19/11, 2/26/11, 3/13/11, 3/20/11, 3/31/11, 4/18/11, 4/30/11, 5/15/11, 5/31/11, 6/30/11, 7/31/11, 8/31/11, 9/30/11, 10/29/11, 11/30/11, 1/1/12, 1/31/12, 2/26/12
- Fix up my bicycle(1/2)
- Bicycle 1001 miles. (30.5)
- (X)get to work without using my car 10 times
- (X)Walk 1001 miles besides what I do normally(12/31/11)
Lose 20 lbs and keep it that way. (start 202)(196 3/14/10)(194.5 4/11/10)(190 6/3/10)(189 9/2/10)(186 4/26/11)(182 6/25/11)
- (X)Learn a new sport or play one I haven’t played in a while.(soccer)
- Play a 3 set match in tennis.
- Dance 1001 dances. (110)
- (X)Get a physical exam(8/10/10 @10:30 am)
- (X)Go to the dentist 3 times(4/5/11, 4/11/11, 4/18/11)(Two teeth pulled out/ saved my life)
- (X)Finish my novel(11/29/10)(second draft).
- Finish the first draft of another(40,000 words 11/30/11)
- Write 5 short stories.
- Write 101 poems.(68)
- (X)Write 500 journal entries. (5/9/11)
- (X)Find a writing group (10/19/11).
- Send 5 items to publishers.
- (X)Enter a writing contest.(Writers Digest Short Story Contest)11/09
- Publish 400 blog posts. (288)
- (X)Comment on 101 blogs or email discussion lists (12/15/2010)
- Finish 50 pieces of 2 dimensional art.(37)
- (X)Finish 5 pieces of 3 dimensional art.(5)
- (X)Take a 1001 photographs.(1022) 1/6/10
- Become fluent in Spanish enough to complete a conference with a parent who doesn’t speak English.
- Translate a Spanish Poem.
- (X) Read a book in Spanish. El Canto de Las Ballenas (1/3/2012)
- Write 5 blog entries in Spanish.
- (X) Watch 10 Spanish movies without subtitles(2/21/12)
- (X)Read or listen to 101 books of all sorts. 11/11/11
- Watch 20 of Akira Kurosawa‘s movies with subtitles.(17)
- Learn to play 5 songs well on the piano.
- (X) Play guitar and sing for an audience.(Many times now at BCS) 7/09
- (X) Write a song.(10/11)
- Speak about or give a demonstration about teaching in a professional setting.
- (X) Go to the ocean (the Sound doesn’t count, there must be waves not just wake)(Oregon Coast 8/28/11)
- Go camping.
- Go out in a boat (sailing or paddling)
- (X) Listen to 50 bands or musicians I have not heard before.(50)(9/2/10)
- (X) Attend 5 live music events.(Soweto Gospel Choir 3/11/10)(Scrap Arts 3/30/10)(Built to Spill 11/20/10)(The New Porn0graphers 5/5/11, Uncanny Valley Live Karaoke 9/7/11)
- Hang out in a bar with a friend.
- (X)Have a conversation 10 people I don’t know and have no reason to talk to.(12/11)
- (X)Be in 101 places I haven’t been. It doesn’t have to be far. I just have to pay attention to the fact that it is new to me even if it is right by my house. (1/3/2011)
- (X) Visit my sister in Oregon (8/27/11)
- (X)Visit my brother and sister and friends in California.(8/17-19/11)
- (X) Go to Mom and Dad’s 3 times.(1/1/12)
- Visit my island friend 5 times.(3)
- Leave the country once.
- (1/2)Get my birth certificate or if necessary a passport. (sent for BC)(recieved BC 1/16/10)
- Drive a motorcycle or scooter.
- Visit a state I have never been too.
- (X)Visit a city I have never been too.(6/27/10 Bremerton and Poulsbo WA)
- (X) Read a poem I wrote, out loud, for an audience.(12/7/11)
- Help 5 people that I don’t know (in person not a charity or candlelight vigil). Basically good Samaritan stuff.(3)(pushed car in front of library, helped family locked out of car in Ross parking lot)(Helped a woman carry some boxes)
- (X) Help somebody move.(Rowan and Jordan)
- (X)Attend 5 parties or picnics or fun gatherings and have fun. (Really not the easiest thing for me)(11/18/11)
- Kiss my wife 10,010 times (the easiest thing for me). (9,800)
- Have 10 days (not necessarily consecutive) without screens (computer, tv, etc)(9)
- Fly somewhere, most likely in some kind of airplane.
- Take a train somewhere.
- Learn 101 words in languages other than English or Spanish and use them with someone who speaks that language.
- (X)Try 5 foods I have never tried. (3/5/2011)
- Try 5 foods I don’t like but haven’t tried in a while.1 (hummus), 2(Kefir), 3(brewers Yeast), 4(homony)
- (X)Make a group of more than 10 people laugh on purpose. (no accidental slapstick)(told joke at BCS)1/15/10
- (X)Admit a mistake and correct it.(X)
- Buy or make 5 special gifts for no special occasion.(3)
- (X) Find a job I love.(BCS)
- (90%) Go through all of my stuff and get rid of things I do not use.
- Attend 5 church services or spiritual or religious gatherings of some kind.(1. UU Fellowship 1/2/2011)
- Make 5 new friends who I keep track of on at least a monthly basis (1)
- (X)Take a friend out to lunch.(Mark 3/7/10)
- (X) Get rid of the old car.(7/20/09)
- write 50o,500 words(230,000). Replaced post-graduate program goal due to lack of interest on my part.
- (1/2) Plant and grow some flowers.(4/19/10 planted some wildflower seeds with Kameron and Tristan)(6/4 no flowers yet)
- Make a sound sculpture.
- (X)Inspire 1001 works of children’s art by providing space, materials and encouragement.(Finished 5/18/10)
- Make 20 good pieces of documentation about projects (books, posters, mobiles, etc.) with student help.(10)
- Record or transcribe 20 interactions in the classroom.(5)
- Write 20 detailed observations of deep learning.
- (95%)Organize my files so that I can use them.
- (X) Read 10 books I own and haven’t read(8/7/11)
- (X) Give away something I love. (The tempera and wood piece I made inspired by Georgia O’Keeffe‘s flowers)
- (X)Get a laptop.10/15/10
- (X)Write in 50 places other than my home.(11/30/11)
- (X) Learn to fix something I don’t know how to fix (My Guitar).
- Learn to make something I don’t know how to make.
- Sing very loudly in a moment no one is expecting it.
- Make a piece of art that moves.
- Take a writing class or attend a writing seminar or workshop.
- Plan and complete 150 activities that inspire my creativity.(9)
- (X)Take some harsh but constructive criticism without being defensive.(12/8/2010 at ELC, Not Very Harsh)
- (X)Use a critique to improve something I’m working on.(Many times at ELC)
- Find someone I disagree with on a subject that is important to me and listen to them for as long as they want to talk, only speaking to ask clarifying questions.
- Spend a whole day purposefully listening, speaking only to let people know I am present and paying attention.
- (X)Drive fast on a windy road 5 miles or more.(5/24/10)
- (X) Do some trail riding. (down from Lake Padden to BCS)(4/24/10)
- (X) Climb a tree.(6/2/10 a plum tree at BCS)
- Howl at the moon.
- (X) Learn 3 new stories to tell out loud (11/23/11).
- (X)Write a story to tell.(The Monkey and the Magic Pebble)(10/26/11)
- (X)Tell a story to 5 different audiences.(The Lizard’s Song)(10/2011)
- Commit 101 random acts of art as I am out in the world.(7)
Completed 49 out of 101