“Life’s the joke each of us keeps on playing.”
Arthur Rimbaud, “A Season in Hell“
Lately, I have been thinking a lot about how I move through my life. Little by little, as I age, I move into a world that is alien to Me. As I move into uncomfortable territory I construct screens like billboards along the highway of my life that keep me from seeing the changes. I decorate these screens with things as I think they should be, not only covering the fact that death is inevitable, but also that I may outlive or drive away everyone who knows and loves me and be left in a tragic state of lonely darkness.
Here are some questions I have been wrestling with in hopes of avoiding this outcome:
- Is it possible to change, and when, if ever, is it too late?
- How do I stay in the light?
- Is the darkness bad?
- What the hell is out there, and is it worse than what I have now?
- Are these the right questions?
- Why do we make each other miserable when we are all in mostly the same position, and are not really improving our own condition by doing so?
I am sure I do things that make people miserable without any gain to myself. In fact I make myself miserable sometimes. I don’t want to do it. It just happens when I say and do things without thinking of the consequences, or simply add to the current load of misery by not paying attention.
Am I adding to the misery of others by posting this?
I hope not, but what can I do? I am only human.